Saturday 3 October 2009

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - a sequel . . .






















The Review section of the Guardian has done a superb job with Jenny Turner's review of not merely the sequel to H2G2, but a coherent explanation of where the H2G2's original author Douglas Adams was 'coming from', ie where he got the ideas, and how these ideas elided so well with the late Seventies' & early Eighties' technological zeitgeist, as we who were there remember. She's immersed herself in what is now an alien literary landscape of 'the future as seen in the 70's' and as looked at from the perspective of now. It's dated and clunky, but logical. Whether I actually buy Colfer's sequel 'And another thing' is immaterial. I so loved this review, for re-visiting the past with such clarity. It is a fabulous read, and I forgot my sardine sandwich until I'd lapped up every word . . . As always, click on the title . . .

No comments: