Wednesday 4 November 2009

Bronica Medium-Format film camera. . .























I'm doing something new - I'm writing this blog post entirely on the iPhone. . . This one's about the difference between a Bronica SQ-B medium-format film camera, and a Bronica Etrsi medium-format film camera.

Yes, I know, the Etrsi is a 6 x 4.5 cm. image, and the SQ-B is a 6 x 6 cm. image. BUT, although I knew that, I had no idea that THE LENSES were different, ie. NOT interchangeable between Bronica bodies. Thanks to my buddy and camera repair-person Panny at Camera City (+44 (0) 20 7813 2100) for solving the problem (my Etrsi lens wouldn't mount onto the SQ-B body) . . . the reason is that because the two cameras' image area and shape is different (one's narrower than the other), the lens must compensate for the different image capture shapes . . . Simple, when someone knows what they're talking about . . .
The Etrsi is 'automatic exposure' if you attach the optional 'prismatic view-finder'. However if this is left on 'auto' for long, the battery goes flat, and you're left with a single default shutter speed of only 1/ 500th of a second, not good on a rainy afternoon . . .

So I'm using the SQ-B lenses with the SQ-B body, when I do my 'in the style of Lee Friedlander' photo-shoot on the weekend. . . As usual, click on the post title to go straight to a Photo.net article all about the techy differences between Bronica models. . . I'll save the Etrsi for other non-square-image shoots . . . which is most of them, at the moment . . .

The one thing I could not do in this post on the iPhone was to re-size the image (I always make them 15 cm. wide, to fit the column width of blog-post text). I needed Photoshop, so I edited the image (using Levels and Curves, slightly tweaked for contrast) on the MacBook Pro . . . thats' it though, everything else was created on the iPhone tonight . . .

No comments: