Friday 8 January 2010

ONE Tetra-byte back-up . . . .



















For the past three months my Macbook Pro has been without a full back-up. Silly really, but no-one told me what to do when both the hard disk drive and the back-up drive are 98 % full. I went to the mecca at the Apple Store on Regent Street yesterday, and they said 'Normally you delete to make space.'

Very sensible, but I've been sticking files on the computer from five years ago, as and when I needed old photos, old spreadsheets, and so on. My buddy Ben had said 'Don't just buy another Time Capsule, add an external hard disk drive to it, and save money !'. The Apple Geniuses agreed, and so I got a Lacie 1 Tb drive, which has a USB 2.0 connection (my existing Time Capsule only has RJ45 and USB 2.0, they forgot to put Firewire on it).
Yesterday I had 316 Gb used on my MacBook. This morning I've dumped 80 Gb so far, all onto the new back-up. Wow, it is like losing weight . . .click on the post title to whizz to an online article all about Time Machine . . . if you don't have a Mac, this is a REALLY good reason to change over from a PC . . . another reason is that they're a lot more fun to use and to look at. Yes, I know, PC's are catching up . . .

No comments: