Monday 3 May 2010

As easy as falling off a . . .












You know how it is : you're cleaning the gutters and you just want to get it done (mucky hands, wet leaves on head, you can picture it . . .) I was on a little ladder just like the one in the picture, and was just twisting 'round to get down off the top.
One second you're fine, the next you're free-falling. In my case it was only less than 2.0 metres. I Ianded on my feet. I didn't bang my head. I was winded, but that was it.
Except for the past three weeks it FEELS LIKE I landed on my arms (I didn't). It is like having had both arms twisted around past the point where they usually don't go - the fall lasted one second, and three weeks later my arms are nearly pain-free. Click on the title for an H + S advert . . .
What do you suggest I do next time ? I did get right back on the ladder, and I finished cleaning the guttering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like working up there also. Aside from the dirt, I am afraid of heights and fear falling so much.
What I did is to have my gutters replaced with Easy Flow. It has built-in covers to prevent debris and leaves from clogging the gutters, minimized the need for cleaning.
Another way is to purchase one of those high pressure cleaners that has telescopic attachments that could reach your gutter while you are safe in the ground.