Sunday 11 May 2008

FILMS I like, and ones I am told are EXCELLENT

I finally found my DVD copy of 'Metropolis' the other day, and watched the last 20 minutes, which I really appreciated. Fritz Lang and his wife wrote the screenplay and made the film in about 1927 (it's about life in 2028) and although the dialogue isn't there (silent films until about 1929) is is astonishingly pacy and good. Sets to die for; who would have thought Art Deco would stand the test of time . . .

I am learning to make use of the internet in a better way. After the show (watched on the MacBook Pro rather than the TV, naturally) i typed in 'Bladerunner and Metropolis', and hey-presto, I found

http://hem.passagen.se/replikant/dystopia_myopia.htm

which does seem to suggest there is a connection between the '20's film and the 80's film . . . .

Does it grab you in the same way ?? maybe, maybe not . . . let me know how your dystopian quotient is doing . . .

And, when my photo buddy Ben found out that I'd never seen 'Lord of the Rings', before you could say Gandalf there it was, the film in my hand. I'm a bit worried, because it's a trilogy, and the first installment is on two BIG DVD disks . . . have you seen Part One ? or Parts Two or Three ? ? ? Your comments are most welcome, before I plunge in.

1 comment:

Don said...

Franc I think you must watch the LoR especially on the large screen not on your computer. It is even more impressive on my big screen with soround sound effects.