Sunday 19 October 2008

Running in the Park . . .


Now, most everyone, including myself until this summer, thinks running in the park is easy-peasy. I’ve just been for my first jog in a year. Earlier in the Blog I’ve introduced you to my Cardiac Rehabiltation programme, all the circuit training and aerobics at the Sports centre. It’s all a phased return to cardiac fitness, and it’s overseen by lovely instructors (Hello Angela and Martin !) Well, I’ve been bugging them to say its OK for me to start running. Not proper fast running, but gentle slow plodding running . . . on Friday they relented . . . so long as I didn’t go any faster than I had last been able to go when I had the untreated Angina (run for 100 metres, slow down and walk, run even more slowly after that . . .) I walked around the park (one mile), I did some aerobic stretching exercises (no-one gave me a second glance) then I got on with it. So gentle that it was less strenuous that the fast walking I’ve been doing lately.
That’s it then. Another barrier down, and I’m that little bit closer to being able run a marathon. Don’t laugh . . .

No comments: