Saturday 22 November 2008

Personal Identity Hijack


Franz Kafka wrote about this sort of thing.

It is very creepy to know that there's another person you've never met, who has all your identity documents, living a parallel life, doing all sorts of things you would never do.

Someone pretending to be me (complete with fraudulent passport and driving licence, so that he could open a bank account in my name) has just made £ 12,000 from a national government department. A bank where I've never had an account is where he keeps his money. When I rang that bank, they suggested I go immediately to the police, and report a crime.So I did.

Read about this sort of thing at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/28/ukcrime.scamsandfraud
and at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/oct/08/identityfraud.immigration

I mentioned to the constable at the local nick that I was worried about how to clear my name (I hadn't taken the money, but someone using my identity has), and he couldn't tell me how I might explain to the Tax office, prospective employers, or indeed the courts, that it wasn't me who stole the money.

The Times covers this briefly in an article at
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/consumer_affairs/article1270214.ece

This raises the question "How can I prove that this person standing before you is really me, and not an impostor ?"
Unless my fingerprints are on a file somewhere (unlikely) then anyone who says they are me, can indeed act as me, until the real me comes along and challenges him.

It's not over yet. I am awaiting a call from the CID, who may take an interest in my case . . .

Did anything exciting happen to you this week ??

No comments: