Sunday 23 August 2009

iLove my iPhone . . .
















I got it on Thursday, and goodbye expensive Vodafone. iPhone is so intuitive, it's like a teeny computer with FREE unlimited internet 24-7, using all sorts of communications technology to give you seamless access to all sorts of stuff you might want. It's the same as having a laptop in your shirt pocket.

It's a 'too good to be true' story, and I've only had it three days . . . Stephen Fry wrote a piece in the Guardian about the launch of 3G-S, at

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/19/stephen-fry-iphone-3gs-review

He talks the techno-talk for me . . . there's also scary 'Big-Brother' stuff on the link

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/images/set3/iphone_forensics_580x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/cat_sms_used_as_evidence_in_court.htm&usg=__HnHtY4c1umopiGLMCGDhfYvMjdE=&h=387&w=580&sz=71&hl=en&start=39&sig2=GZIGdDxAc91_gi4e2r6H-g&um=1&tbnid=Zup_egSiY9Z_5M:&tbnh=89&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3DiPhone%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1&ei=DBKRSoaENYSnjAeux7DfDQ

I am getting used to using 42 new FREE apps from the iTunes store, and know there's another two or three hundred FREE ones just waiting to load on. Apps do stuff like convert areas and volumes, or go from Gregorian to Chinese calendar system, or make annoying noises, or give you ring-tones you couldn't imagine and sort your status on FaceBook (no, I didn't make that up, I've got it FREE from iTunes).

I found a FREE Google Earth for iPhone, and it is great twirling the phone to see horizon-encompassing landscapes of friends' and family's dwellings. British Columbia never looked so good, with the snow-capped peaks right in front of you . . .

There's Tom-Tom (cost £50, so I'll let that go for now). I do have free Google-Map. which is like a Sat-Nav, but doesn't talk to you. Must be good . . . My friends were more entranced by the compass app than by the super-duper video recording, but that's boys for you . . .

And I've got 75 albums on it. And 600 photos. Yes, and I can make telephone calls.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, welcome to the club! Got mine two weeks ago!!

Unknown said...

Oh, thought my name would show - 'tis me, Magic :]

N/A said...

This from a comedian at the Edinburgh fringe festival...just saw it and thought of you Franc:
Marcus Brigstocke - "To the people who've got iPhones: you just bought one, you didn't invent it!"
Am I just a bit jealous?.....Lynsey.
Your blog is getting very high-tech too!

N/A said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8223005.stm