Wednesday 30 September 2009

I was nearly arrested under the Anti-Terrorism laws for taking a photo . . .














There I was, North Greenwich Bus station, on a public pavement, and doing what I've wanted to do for about six months, taking night-time shots of London Docklands. I am using the Bronica medium-format camera, and having a great time. I've taken two rolls (that's the thirty shots of film), and I change position to shoot the towers on the front of the 02 building (this is at night, everything is DARK at 19.00 h). Two security guards leap out from a gatehouse and tell me I must stop, or they'll arrest me under the 'Anti-Terrorism' legislation. I try and ignore them, but they stand in front of the camera. I explain that I'm on a public pavement, obviously going about my lawful business. This isn't good enough for the manager, who radio's his control to call the police; he says I have 'a professional camera, looks like it takes film." I say that I am entitled to shoot images in a public place, and they can clearly see that I'm not obstructing anyone else. I take my shot, and move away. They follow me, up close. I phone 999 as I feel these guys are not going to let me and my camera go. The police talk to them on my phone, then they tell me that I've got to go. I say that because the police aren't there, they can't see that I'm in a public place. I invite the police to come, but after waiting twenty minutes for them to arrive to deal with this 'terrorist offence', no-one shows up, and I tell the security guys I've got to go.

Click on this post title to find out more about FLASHMOB - Freedom to photograph . . . What do you think I should do ? Write to the management at O2 ? Write to my MP ? If I forget it, what will they do to the next guy who tries to take a harmless photograph from the public road outside somewhere ?

1 comment:

paulbyron said...

And I thought that idots like these we indigenous to the US during the Bush years.