Saturday 6 September 2008

Cardiac Rehab ONE: What FUN !!!

This Cardiac Care comes in FOUR stages, apparently.

The FIRST stage is when you take yourself to the doctor, usually with chest pains.

The SECOND stage is when you have your ‘procedure’, usually either ‘open chest’ surgery or ‘keyhole’ surgery [ see http.www.bhf.org.uk for loads of info on heart ‘procedures’ ].

The THIRD stage, or ‘Level III’, as the cardio and physio bods call it, is well-supervised exercise, and a fair amount of dietary information from a dietician, of all people !
You also get ‘lifestyle tips’. Since most of us are 50 + years old, this is less about relationships, and more about smoking and drinking (less or none !) and exercise (lots and lots, apparently !). Even before I had the ‘procedure’, the Cardiac Rehab nurse at Homerton Hospital had a word with me; a letter then dropped onto the mat at home, and I received a ‘phone call as well from the Whttington Hospital, which is part of the same UCH training trust consortium. This was the Health Projects Manager calling, from the Sports centre; she is the ‘front woman’ for the Whittington Rehab team [http://www.whittington.nhs.uk/default.asp?c=1677&t=1,3918,249,400 ].


I was invited to Level III induction on Tuesday (blood pressure check, and a walking test (starts at ‘very slow’, works up to ‘less slow’, nothing too demanding)) and I passed. On this past Friday I had supervised group aerobics for an hour, followed by an informal chat in the boardroom about Level IV. All ten of us had something to say about the instructors’ expectations for the relentless march of improving fitness levels; most were in favour. All of us appreciated that the NHS was paying for us to attend the local Sports Centre [ http://www.aquaterra.org/islington/Sobell/ ] and have proper professional athletics training in aerobics and circuit work; some of us are scheming how we might get our twenty-week contract extended.

The FOURTH stage, or Level IV, is when you stay on at the sports centre but do more rigorous training, and have looser supervision. Unfortunately, it’s only the first eight sessions which are free, the rest are charged. It’s a good deal, if only I had a job at present . . . if only I was a couple of years older, I would qualify for a concession . . .

Level III is the latest stage of my rehabilitation from a condition which I didn’t know I had four weeks ago, and which was ‘fixed’ only two weeks ago. I intend to cycle where formerly I drove or took the bus; college is six miles away at Paddington, so I cycled around my local park [ Finsbury Park, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finsbury_Park or http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/community_and_leisure/greenspaces/parks_and_open_spaces_parks_facilities/finsburypark.htm ] which is 1 mile around. I made it twice at very slow speed, and look forward to improving.

I have been walking relentlessly over the two week since I’ve come home, and have improved both my stamina and endurance.

I am OK, and getting better. I checked with the instructors yesterday and they tell me that of those who accept the invite to do Cardiac Rehab Levels III and IV none drop out; however MANY people who've had the heart 'procedure' then feel that " . . . that's it, I don't need any more care." and carry on with 'life as before'. I am also very, very surprised that I know several people who’ve been diagnosed with Angina (YEARS ago !!) and they’ve not been offered any Fast Track Cardiac Care. Print out my blog and show your doctor; perhaps he or she doesn’t realize this facility exists for ‘ordinary’ patients.

There will be more to come, but that’s it for today. I look forward to your comments, either on the blog reply for comments, or back by e-mail.

No comments: