Thursday 30 July 2009

Broadband fixing







It worked fine for six days. then it slowed to nothing. Re-booting didn't fix it. It took forty-five minutes to find a telephone number for bt (it's the phone company, but they've not got a help number on the bill ! ). SIX telephone connections later I found out that I had ADSL2+, not old-fashioned broadband. And, that means it broadcasts wirelessly on different channels. Eleven of them. And, the nice lady on the phone helpline in India told me how to access the innards of the router from the laptop (Yes, I had it plugged in with an RJ45 lead at this moment. It was 'ip address' stuff, change the password, and change the preferred broadcast channel). Channel 6 was not good, but Channel 11 works real good. Pull the RJ45 lead out and 'hey presto !!' wireless super-fast loading again !!

Find out more at

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/howitworks/

It's that easy. Anyone can do it. It's just that I had to speak to five dummies at bt before I got the one who knew what she was doing. Ask for Anjulie when you call.

No comments: